Frequently Asked Questions

If you do not find the answer(s) to your specific question please contact the treasurers office during business hours.

  • Why am I being charged taxes for the vehicle I just purchased? The dealer told me he would take care of tags and taxes.

    The dealership is allowed to pick up your tags on a vehicle without paying local property taxes. When the dealer states that they are taking care of your taxes, they are referring to sales tax, which is paid at the local Department of Motor Vehicles.

  • How do I apply for Senior Citizen Discount on vehicle renewal fees?

    If you are paying by mail, send a statement with your social security number requesting a senior citizen discount. We will complete and mail your application to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you qualify, DMV will issue you a refund check. If you pay in person, notify the person posting your payment that you would like to apply for the Senior Citizen Discount. Discount is for discounted registration fees only, not taxes. 

  • How do I apply for high mileage discount on my vehicle?

    To apply for a high mileage appeal, mail or bring a signed statement with mileage to the Auditor's Office before the due date.

  • Why did the Treasurer send my bill to the wrong address?

    The Treasurer does not maintain property or owner records. The Assessor maintains Land & Buildings records while the Auditor maintains Personal Property and Vehicle records and these records are dependent on taxpayers to notify their offices of changes in address. 

  • What is FOIA?

    The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a law that gives you the right to access information from the government. It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government