Jasper County Legislative Delegation Office:
Mailing Address: Post Office Box 2433 / Ridgeland, SC 29936
Physical Address: Mary Gordon Ellis Executive Building
651 Grays Highway, Ridgeland SC 29936
Phone: (843) 726-6019 Fax: (843) 726-7781
Office Email: email@example.com
Ellen Drake-Howard, Jasper County Legislative Delegation, Administrative Assistant
Barbara Ling Terry, Jasper County Legislative Delegation, Administrative Assistant
To apply for a Board, Commission, and or Committee click here
Jasper County Legislative Delegation Office:
The Jasper County Legislative Delegation Office serves as a local Liaison between the public, Governmental agencies and the 5 elected state legislators who represent Jasper County. The Delegation Officer also processes all Notary Public applications filed by Jasper County voting residents.
The 1975 Passage of Act No. 283, SC Acts and Joint Resolutions, mandated the creation of county-funded delegation offices to provide administrative support in each of the state’s 46 counties.
The delegation meets at the call of the Chair. Delegation meetings are open to the public and are conducted at various sites and times throughout Jasper County, providing greater access to the citizens to attend. Jasper County Legislative Delegation Meetings are now being videotaped by “Socialytes”. The public is provided a notice of all meetings on the Jasper County website, and through all other available media. Agendas are posted a minimum of 24 hours before meetings.
Delegation Members, Districts, Party Affiliation Committees and Sub-committees Service:
Chairman, Sen. Margie Bright Matthews: SC Senate 45 Democratic:
Committees: Correction and Penology, Family and Veterans’ Services, Judiciary, Medical Affairs, and Transportation
Vice Chairman, Rep. Shedron Williams: SC District 122 Democratic:
Committees: (Hampton, Jasper and Beaufort Counties) Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs, Social Security, Penitentiary, State Hospital Police Regulations, and Veterans’ Affairs
Sen. Tom Davis: SC Senate 46 Republican:
Committees: Banking and Insurance, Corrections & Penology, Finance, Legislative Oversight, Labor Commerce & Industry, and Medical Affairs
Rep. William "Bill" G. Herbkersman: SC House 118 Republican:
Committees: Ways and Means (Legislative Sub-committee)
Rep. Wm. Weston J. Newton: SC House 120 Republican:
Committees: Judiciary (Privileges & Elections), Legislative Oversight-Chairman (oversight and Review of Government Operations and Accountability)
- Assist the public with information about other government agencies.
- Serve as the liaison between citizens, agencies and Jasper Legislative Delegation members.
- Process all Notary Public applications for Jasper County.
- Coordinate administrative functions and meetings of the Jasper Legislative Delegation.
- Provide public information on the status of the South Carolina Legislation via the internet.
- Provide, process applications and maintain records of all Jasper Legislative Delegation recommended county and regional boards as directed through state legislation.
- Providing Jasper Legislative Delegations recommendations form applications to the appropriate agency and state officials.
- Provide letters of recommendation to deserving students for scholarship and college applications.
- Process all Parks and Recreation and Tourism grants and provide selections from Delegation to state office of Parks Recreation and Tourism.
- Additional duties as directed by members of the Jasper Legislative Delegation.
Boards do not report to the Jasper Legislative Delegation Office, nor does the Jasper Legislative Delegation office maintain records of their meetings nor provide public notice of board meetings.
Local Boards receiving Legislative Recommendations:
- Beaufort/Jasper Higher Education Commission
- Beaufort/Jasper Water and Sewer Authority
- Coastal Empire Mental Health Board
- Disabilities and Special Needs Board
- State Foster Care Board
- Voters Registration and Election Board
- County Forestry Board
- County Transportation Board
- Regional State Education Board
- Lowcountry and Resort Islands Tourism Commission
- County Veterans Affairs Officer
- Harbor and Pilots Commission
- Technical College of the Lowcountry Board
- Joint Maritime Board
Senatorial Appointment of Magistrates
Press Release - Senate Judiciary Redistricting Subcommittee 07-20-21
Redistricting Public Hearing Schedule 2021 - Calendar
Senate Redistricting 2021 Public Hearing Schedule MM
Updated: November 30, 2020