Provides law enforcement services in Jasper County. This includes protecting citizens and property by patrolling neighborhoods, citing reckless drivers, making arrests, responding to calls for assistance, serving warrants and other related tasks.
- Patrols residential and commercial areas within assigned jurisdiction.
- Responds to radio calls for service and assistance; conducts preliminary investigations; determines appropriate course of action; responds to emergency calls.
- Collects and processes evidence.
- Writes results of investigations, citations, incident reports, and other official documentation as required.
- Provides emergency rescue and First Aid to victims of accidents or criminal acts.
- Processes warrants; enters data to state and national databases.
- Apprehends, arrests, and processes offenders, including juveniles.
- Serves arrest warrants, civil process papers, and subpoenas.
- Serves and executes involuntary eviction orders.
- Conducts prisoner transports to and from other jurisdictions.
- Provides assistance to other agencies.
- Conducts funeral escorts.
- Testifies in judicial proceedings as required.
- Provides court room security as required.
- Performs the duties of a K-9 Officer as required.
- Participates in required training exercises and classes.
- Performs other related duties.
- Knowledge of required law enforcement training and standards.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of law enforcement methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the physical and social characteristics of the county.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in the operation of law enforcement vehicles and equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have a current South Carolina Driver’s License.
- No convictions of felonies, misdemeanor crimes or crimes of moral turpitude.
- No convictions of Domestic Violence.
- Must have a clean driving history: No conviction for DUI, DUS within the past 10 years, and minimum convictions for speeding.
- Must have good credit history, no judgements, no liens, no recent bankruptcy.(Each applicants history will be considered prior to employment.)
- Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Must successfully pass the Police Officer Selection Test (POST).
- Must successfully pass a medical exam and drug screening.
- Must successfully complete a psychological evaluation.
- Must successfully complete a polygraph examination.
- Must successfully complete a firearm familiarization course. Must be capable of utilizing a firearm and engaging a target at fifteen feet (three yards)
- Must successfully pass an oral interview board.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and must distinguish between shades of color.
The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and cold or inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Associate Degree (or higher)
- Prior Military Service
- Prior Law Enforcement experience
- Active SCCJA Certification
- Bilingual (Preferred, but not required)
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of South Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to successfully pass the Basic Law Enforcement Training Program provided by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Submit application to Jasper County Human Resources, PO Box 150, Ridgeland, SC 29936. Applications are available on-line
If an accommodation is needed in order to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office.
JASPER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER