The School Resource Officer (SRO) enforces all local, State, and Federal laws relating to public safety and welfare; performs all duties in compliance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations and standards of safety.
- Provides security for assigned school.
- Assists in the public safety of the students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Patrols the campus frequently.
- Develops and implements a school safety plan.
- Provides individual and group counseling for students.
- Monitors student behavior during lunch, between classes and other times to maintain order.
- Investigates school crimes.
- Identifies gang activity.
- Participates in school and extracurricular activities, as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties.
- Knowledge of required law enforcement training and standards.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of law enforcement methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the physical and social characteristics of the county.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in the operation of law enforcement vehicles and equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have a current South Carolina Driver’s License.
- No convictions of felonies, misdemeanor crimes or crimes of moral turpitude.
- No convictions of Domestic Violence.
- Must have a clean driving history: No conviction for DUI, DUS within the past 10 years, and minimum convictions for speeding.
- Must have good credit history, no judgements, no liens, no recent bankruptcy.(Each applicants history will be considered prior to employment.)
- Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Must successfully pass the Police Officer Selection Test (POST).
- Must successfully pass a medical exam and drug screening.
- Must successfully complete a psychological evaluation.
- Must successfully complete a polygraph examination.
- Must successfully complete a firearm familiarization course. Must be capable of utilizing a firearm and engaging a target at fifteen feet (three yards)
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must successfully pass an oral interview board.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and must distinguish between shades of color.
The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors or in a school setting. The employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and cold or inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Prior Military Service
- Must be certified as a Class-One law enforcement officer for the State of South Carolina
- Previous training and experience as a School Resource Officer is preferred but not necessary
- Prior Law Enforcement experience
- Active SCCJA Certification
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of South Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to successfully pass the Basic Law Enforcement Training Program provided by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
Only applicants submitting a fully completed Jasper County application will be considered. Please submit completed documents to Jasper County Human Resources, PO Box 150, Ridgeland, SC 29936. Applications are available on-line or, may be obtained in person at the Clementa C. Pinckney Government, 358 Third Avenue, Ridgeland, SC 29936. APPLICANTS WILL BE DRUG TESTED AND MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.
If an accommodation is needed in order to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office.
JASPER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER