Performs skilled/specialized work associated with maintenance & repair of airport grounds, runways, taxiways, buildings, equipment, and related facilities at the Ridgeland – Claude Dean Airport (3J1). Performs line duties that include marshaling aircraft, fueling aircraft and towing aircraft, etc.Communicates orally with the flying public, tenants, contractors and County employees. Produces written documents, including inventory reports, airport inspection reports, work schedules, and work orders. Operates two-way radio. When requested by supervisor, responds to unscheduled requests for assistance from airport facility users. Requires ability to write concise reports regarding maintenance, inspections, and operational issues.
- Performs line service duties that include marshaling aircraft, fueling aircraft, airport fuel system maintenance, etc.
- Performs customer service requiring oral/written communication with pilots and the flying public.
- Performs landscaping duties
- Interacts with and Jasper County employees.
- Operates two-way radio.
- Operates tractor/mower, and diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles.
- Performs maintenance and repair of airport grounds, runways, taxiways, buildings, equipment, and related facilities at the Ridgeland – Claude Dean Airport (3J1).
- Utilizes personal computer (PC) and related software.
- Produces written documents, including inventory reports, airport inspection reports, work schedules, and work orders. Requires ability to write concise reports regarding maintenance, inspections, and operational issues.
- Responds occasionally on short notice to after-hour call outs.
- Ability to safely lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds or up to 100 pounds with assistive lift devices.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge or ability to acquire knowledge of FAA and airport rules and regulations applicable to airport maintenance, operations, and security;
- Knowledge or ability to acquire knowledge of methods, policies and procedures of grounds and facilities maintenance;
- Knowledge or ability to acquire knowledge of safety precautions and hazards common to the dispensing o fuels into aircraft;
- Knowledge of or ability to acquire knowledge on appropriate use of pesticides, herbicides and rodent control chemicals and devices, etc. that may require the employee to acquire an applicator license.
- Employee required to clean work area and equipment.
- Employee must be able to comprehend safety and equipment manuals for maintenance of a safe work environment.Employee prioritizes work in coordination with supervisor’s requests.Employee learns job-related material though on-the-job training and classroom instruction regarding airport operations, safety and equipment operations.Employee may assist staff with fire inspections, aircraft parking, ramp inspections, etc.Employee must comprehend the requirements of the position so that work with other staff, emergency personnel, law enforcement staff can be frequently accomplished without direct supervision.
Employee required to have visual acuity correctible to 20/20 and sufficient hearing range to detect traffic sounds, backup warning devices, sirens, including awareness of aircraft operating on the ground and flying overhead. Employee required to have full color vision discrimination. Employee must be able to bend, climb, stoop, walk appreciable distances and carry loads exceeding 50 pounds. Employee will need hand dexterity and mechanical ability sufficient to use hand tools, airport equipment and personal computer (PC).
Work is typically performed outdoors in varied weather conditions; heat, humidity and winter weather conditions.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Education and/or training normally commensurate with an a high school diploma or GED.
- One to two years (1-2) years of previous experience and/or training.
- Employee required to acquire and maintain a South Carolina driver’s license. Employee required to operate motor vehicles and equipment, including pick-up truck, fuel truck, mower, scissor lift, string trimmer, front end loader, car, FOD sweeper and tractor, etc. Employee required to clean work area and equipment. Employee required to handle herbicides, pesticides, etc. not requiring an applicator license.
Only applicants submitting a fully completed Jasper County application will be considered. Please submit completed documents to Jasper County Human Resources, PO Box 150, Ridgeland, SC 29936. Applications are available on-line or, may be obtained in person at the Clementa C. Pinckney Government, 358 Third Avenue, Ridgeland, SC 29936. APPLICANTS WILL BE DRUG TESTED AND MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.
Open Until Filled
If an accommodation is needed in order to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office.
JASPER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER