Click on a position to view more information.
All applications must be received by the posted deadline specified in the job listing for the vacancy. Where there is no date, the position will be posted until it is filled. Applications will only be accepted for positions that are currently vacant.
Refuse Collection Worker
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:Dependent Upon Experience
- Announcement Date:05/26/2020
JOB OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: May 26, 2020
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to monitor and screen all waste and recyclable materials delivered by residents to County convenience centers; to assist the public in placing materials in the proper containers; to monitor container volume and maintain site appearance and safety.
Job Tasks: Represents the majority of the time spent working in class. Management may assign additional tasks as necessary.
- Opens and closes Recycle Centers to ensure timely service is provided. Monitors and screens all waste and recyclable materials delivered by residents to County Recycle Centers.
- Directs traffic at drop-off sites. Assists the public in placing materials in proper containers; determines if waste is acceptable; transfers recyclables from small to large bins, sorting them as needed.
- Monitors containers to ensure adequate space for continued disposal and calls in collection requests as needed; calls-in end-of-the-day waste and recyclable container volumes as required for scheduling the next day’s collections.
- Maintains Recycle Center and surrounding area in a clean, orderly manner; picks up trash and debris as necessary; cleans drop pans and hoses down areas to eliminate spills and odors. Mows grass at site as necessary.
- Transports recyclables to vendors. Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of daily activities.
- Answers phones; provides information and/or assistance to callers. Inspects materials to ensure compliance with standards.Cleans and maintains assigned equipment and tools.
- Performs all duties in accordance with all County policies and procedures, standards of quality and safety, and all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High School diploma or GED or equivalent combination of experience. Excellent customer service skills. Must be able to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations. Must be able to stoop, bend, squat and stand for extended periods. Requires the ability to work outdoors, occasionally in cold/hot or inclement weather. Will be required to operate lawn maintenance equipment and work well with a variety of personalities. May be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts. The incumbent must be able to lift heavy objects. Some duties require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles and/or gloves.
Application Procedure: Only applicants submitting a fully completed Jasper County application will be considered. Please submit documents to Jasper County Human Resources Office, P.O. Box 150, Ridgeland, SC 29936. Applications are available on-line at www.jaspercountysc.org or, may be picked-up in person at the Jasper County Human Resources, Clementa C. Pinckney Government Building, 358 Third Avenue, Ridgeland, SC 29936. APPLICANTS WILL BE DRUG TESTED AND MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A CRIMIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled.
If an accommodation is needed in order to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Jasper County is an Equal Opportunity Employer