Click on a position to view more information.
All applications must be received by the posted deadline specified in the job listing for the vacancy. Where there is no date, the position will be posted until it is filled. Applications will only be accepted for positions that are currently vacant.
Firefighter/EMT/Paramedic (Daytime and 24 hour positions available)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$15.50-$17.98 Certified (DOQ)
- Announcement Date:07/12/2019
(Daytime and 24 hour positions available)
Duties: Incumbent is responsible for responding to fires and emergency medical situations to protect and save lives and property of Jasper County. Duties include (but are not limited to): performing fire suppression duties, providing medical care and transporting patients. Will participate in training and continuing education, and perform other duties as assigned.
Job Tasks: Represents the majority of the time spent working in class. Management may assign additional tasks as necessary.
- Respond to fires and emergency medical situations; performs fire suppression and firefighting duties; assesses victim and condition and administers basic life support in accordance with medical certification (i.e., ALS, BLS, First Responder, etc.)
- Locates water supply, monitors hose/nozzle, calculates friction loss and establishes fire streams at fire site. Inspects, tests and operates assigned apparatus.
- Participates in training exercises and continuing education classes to maintain certification and improve knowledge and skills.
- Extricate accident victims as needed.
- Prepare daily logs and reports pertaining to incidents, supplies, repairs and inspections. Completes state/local paperwork, billings and reports. Present public education and awareness programs regarding fire prevention to local schools, civic and community groups.
- Assists with yearly testing of equipment in accordance with NFPA guidelines.
- Cross-trains in other disciplines.
- Participate in overhaul and salvage. Preserve and protect evidence relating to fire cause and point of origin.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High School diploma or GED equivalent; minimum 18 years of age, valid South Carolina Drivers’ license with good driving record. Incumbent will be required to hold a SC Emergency Medical Technician Basic or higher credential. Credentials as a NFPA Firefighter 1 or higher is also required.
** Personnel not certified to Firefighter II, Pump Operations, EVDT and Technical Rescue and either NREMT or NREMT-P will have a starting recruit pay at a 10% reduction until the minimum qualifications are met.
Application Procedure: Submit application to Jasper County Human Resources, PO Box 150, Ridgeland, SC 29936. Applications can also be obtained at the Jasper County Government Building, 358 Third Avenue, Ridgeland SC 29936. JASPER COUNTY REQUIRES SELECTED APPLICANTS TO SUCCESSFULLY PASS A DRUG TEST AND SLED BACKGROUND CHECK. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled.
If an accommodation is needed in order to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office.
JASPER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER