Click on a position to view more information.
All applications must be received by the posted deadline specified in the job listing for the vacancy. Where there is no date, the position will be posted until it is filled. Applications will only be accepted for positions that are currently vacant.
Detention Classification Corporal
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$15.50 per hour
- Announcement Date:02/08/2019
INTERNAL JOB OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
(ONLY CURRENT JASPER COUNTY EMPLOYEES MAY APPLY)
Duties: Will provide leadership and participate in the Detention Center Operations, including, care and custody of inmates and security of the facility. Incumbent will supervise inmate activities and perform related corrections work as assigned. Will be subject to duty re-call 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
Job Tasks: Represents the majority of the time spent working in class. Management may assign additional tasks as necessary.
- Supervises inmates housed in the Detention Center. Monitors security cameras, alarm systems, automated locking systems and other specialized security equipment. Performs all essential functions of the Lance Corporal, as necessary.
- Classifies inmates based on custody assessment scale to determine placement within the facility.
- Reviews arrests and booking records for accuracy and completeness; maintains and updates inmate rosters.
- Processes the release or transfer of inmates and detainees based on court ordered instructions or other legal authorization; transports inmates to various locations as directed.
- Provides leadership and limited supervision of assigned subordinates including, officer training and maintenance of facility standard
- Supervises meals, visitation, recreation, exercise, educational activities and telephone privileges.
- Searches inmates, cells and other inmate accessible areas for contraband and other safety and security hazards.
- Performs other duties of a similar or related level.
Qualifications: Must be minimum age 21 years. Requires: minimum 2-3 years jail management/operations experience; SC Criminal Justice Academy Certification; previous successful experience at the Lance Corporal level; physical agility and ability to intervene in confrontational situations; knowledge of relevant federal, state and local laws; demonstrated supervisory experience and knowledge of supervisory principals and practices; excellent statistical skills and ability to utilize basic first aid methods and techniques.
Application Procedure: Submit application to Jasper County Human Resources, PO Box 150, Ridgeland, SC 29936. Applications are available on-line at www.jaspercountysc.org or, may be obtained in person at the Clementa C. Pinckney Government Building, 358 Third Avenue, Ridgeland SC 29936. APPLICANTS MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A DRUG TEST AND SLED BACKGROUND CHECK. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
If an accommodation is needed in order to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office.